Smart's Marina is located on Mazinaw Lake, which is located about an hour and a half northeast of Kingston Ontario just outside of the small town of Cloyne. The marina has been owned and operated by the Smart Family for over 35 years and is steep with history.
Going back to the early 1900's, the land was originally inhabited by a sawmill when forestry was the main industry in the area. Later, the mill was torn down and John and Barb Lester purchased the property in the late 1950's. The Lester's stayed in a trailer for the first few years after purchase. When more people started buying properties on the lake, Lester's saw an opportunity to provide some services to this new cottage base. They started out by using a tent as their store, selling anything they could to make it convenient for the newly arriving customers. The demand for marina services increased again with the establishment of Bon Echo Provincial Park in the mid 60's. Lester's then put in very small docks for the lake access cottagers and started selling and servicing small boats and motors. Later they took on branded lines such as Springbok Boats (now Princecraft Boats) and Johnson and Evinrude Motors. The tent store was eventually replaced with a log building creating LESTER'S MARINA and in 1962, they built their permanent log home next to the business, which still remains and is used today.
Lester's ran the marina for the next 10 or so years. The name was changed to SMART'S MARINA when it was sold to Jim and Barb Smart in April 1974. Jim and Barb owned and operated the marina until April of 1990 when it was sold to the next generation, Steve and Pauline Smart. Many improvements were undertaken from the days of old. In 1992, crib docks were replaced with floating ones. In 1998, an addition was put onto the original log marina structure providing much more retail space and a large INDOOR service bay. In 2005, more new and improved dock spaces were created to accommodate an influx of new customers and the larger boat sizes. Before the summer of 2007, another addition was in the works. An old storage building was revamped and partially torn down to make room for a new 40 x 60 foot two storey building. This 2400 square foot space would house 3 new service and storage bays, motor testing tank, stock and staff room facilities. The old 16 x 32 foot service bay provided a new home for our convenient store increasing our showroom space.
We have always been a service oriented operation which has brought customers back time and time again. Today we continue to strive for perfection for our existing customers and are privileged to have the opportunity to build the same relationship with new customers!
Northbrook Clinic 613-336-8888
guardian pharmacy 613-336-8111
bon echo park 613-336-2228
Bishop Lake 613-336-2311
Addington TWSP Office 613-336-2286
TOWNSHIP N.F. OFFICE 1-800-234-3953
Township of North Frontenac
Dump Hours (Summer & Winter)
mississippi valley conservation authority
Toronto International Boat Show
Bon Echo Provincial Park
mazinaw property owners association